Hotels and Guest Houses – Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have a commercial vehicle for my Hotel. Can that be covered under hotel/guest house insurance policy?
    Yes, some insurers may insure your vehicle/s, on the same policy.
  • I own multiple Hotels / Guest Houses. Can they all be covered under one policy?
    Unfortunately, our policies are designed for only one establishment per policy. You can hold more than one policy.
  • My Hotel / Guest House is also a Restaurant, Bar, etc. Can I get coverage with multiple trades at one site?
    If your guest house has between 4-12 bedrooms with a bar or restaurant attached, Insurers will most likely be able to cover your under guest house insurance. If your main business is the making and serving of food or drink and you have no more than 4 bedrooms, your coverage is better suited under the Restaurant/Bar/Takeaway Shop insurance. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding which insurance would be right for you.
  • How many staff can I have to be covered by Hotel / Guest house insurance?
    We do no limit the number of staff under your guest house insurance policy, but we do ask how much you pay in wages each year.
  • Does the Hotel /Guest house insurance cover a certain number of guest rooms?
    In some cases, yes. Please discuss this with your insurer.
  • There is a restaurant attached to my Hotel / Guest house. Is this covered under the Hotel / Guest house policy?
    Yes, our policy provides for restaurants attached to guest houses, even if they are open to the public/non-guests. Please make sure to make this clear on your application what type of guest house you own.
  • My Hotel / Guest House has a private function room for events. Does Hotel / Guest House insurance cover for private events?
    Depending on its use, your private function room should be covered, but please inform us of its uses when applying for a quote so we can best determine if it will be covered.
  • I organise outings and excursions for my Hotel / Guest House guests. Am I covered for this?
    We are only able to provide coverage for your guests and you as the business owner for activities on the premises of your Hotel / Guest house.
  • Does Hotel / Guest house insurance provide coverage for damage to the car park or grounds of my hotel?
    As long as you have buildings coverage as part of your hotel insurance, your grounds, car parks, etc. are all protected under the policy, subject to our terms and conditions.
  • I only operate my Hotel / Guest house seasonally. Can I still get coverage?
    Unfortunately, our Hotel / Guest House coverage is for properties that are open year round; we cannot cover hotels that are closed for more than 21 days per year.
  • My personal home is part of the Hotel / Guest House. Is my living quarters and contents covered by the Hotel / Guest House policy?
    Your personal living space is covered by public liability because of the possibility that a guest could find their way into your private quarters. You are not, however, covered for your personal contents under the regular policy; this would require the additional personal household contents coverage.
  • I provide meals for my guests that are cooked in my own private kitchen. Is this covered under your Hotel / Guest House policy?
    This is considered part of the standard coverage for Hotel/Guest House policy, however, please confirm this with your insurer
  • What is my rebuild value?
    Rebuild value is the amount of money it would cost to completely rebuild your building/property in the event it was destroyed beyond repair. The rebuild value puts your home back to the condition it was before the irreparable damage occurred. The rebuild value is different than your property's resale or market value. Your rebuilding cost can be obtained by having a qualified individual such as surveyor, mortgage adviser, or leasing agent, examine your property or by finding 'rebuild calculator' online.
  • What does public liability coverage include?
    Public liability coverage protects you as the property owner from legal liability for death or bodily harm on third-party individuals (other than an employee). It also covers loss or damage to third party property from out of the operation of your business.
  • If I receive a quote for insurance coverage, how long is it good for? How far in advance can I request a quote?
    Your insurance coverage quote is valid for 30 days from the day you receive it; you can only request a quote within 30 days in advance.
  • What does employer's liability coverage include?
    Employer's liability coverage protects you as the property or business owner against any claims for compensation from employees who are injured on the job that you are legally liable.
  • What are the coverage exclusions?
    Your policy documents will include any related exclusions, terms, and conditions. For particular questions regarding your policy and any exclusions, please contact our customer service representatives.
  • What is the standard excess and out of pocket cost to me?
    The excess or out of pocket cost to you for your policy is found within your policy documents on the 'Your Summary' page. If you have any additional questions, please contact us.
  • What form of payment do you accept?
    We accept only payments via monthly debit order, or annual payment by bank transfer. We do not accept cheques or cash.
  • If I renew my policy, do I receive any new documents?